Friday, August 26, 2011

I'm back!

Well, yesterday I got back from the States after my first WorldCon experience. It was an interesting experience to say the least! I learned a lot from the many panels I attended, gaining rather important information on the inner-workings of art directors' minds. This information will be invaluable to me in the future, and because of it, I've decided to start on a brand new portfolio directed at company Wizards of the Coast.

I've learnt that my work can be a whole lot stronger than it is. Displaying my work against artists with such skill both inspired me and scared the shit out of me at the same time. This can only by good for my own work... right?

Of course, we're our own worst critic, and over the past week I've been more hard on myself than I have at any other time. I found myself constantly wondering if I was capable of work like Winona Nelson. Now I wonder if I may need to put even more effort into each piece I create, use more, or better, reference material, or need more education. Maybe going back to life-drawing classes would help?

I think I'll feel a whole lot better about my artistic direction after the month I spend at Imaginism Studios in October. I wonder how far Thierry Lafontaine and Bobby Chiu can push my skill level. Will this open up bigger doors for me? Either way, I'm really looking forward to the intensive education I'll get for a whole month. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment